Friday, March 24, 2017

Letters from 1938

This is, at this point, the last post in this blog; however, because of the way blogger works, it will be the first you will read, so I have copied some of what I put in my first post, as a kind of bookend.

The letters in this blog are the "round robin" letters that my grandfather, sent to his siblings and mother.  Here's the family stuff, oh and here's a link to a family tree prepared by my grandfather that I posted at the beginning.

Horace Alva White (1858-1943) m. Josephine Ogier (1864-1956)


Howard Ogier White (1893-1986)
            m. Dessie Rachel Pope (1895-1979)
Raymond Francis White (1895-1976)
m. Fern E. Naugle (1897-1992)
Ivan Alfred White (1897-1976)
m. Helen Mitchell (1989-??)
Ila Mildred White (1900-1995)
m. Frank Wallace True (1898-??)
Wayne Elwood White (1905-2000)
m. Laura Amelia Brown (1906-1998)

Here is the way the "round robin" worked. The first person writes a letter to the group and sends it to the 2nd person; the 2nd person writes a letter and puts it in the same envelope with the first and sends both letters to the 3rd person; the 3rd person does the same and so on, until the last person sends it back to the first, who then removes their original letter and puts in a new, current one.  And so it goes, on and on, round and round.  I don't know when they started the "round robin", but the first letter in the bunch is dated December 15, 1938.  The final letter is dated May 21, 1982.

The letters I have posted are the letters that Howard would pull out when he sent the next one on.  He kept a ton.  There are also a smattering of other letters that were in with the box/bag with the "round robin" letters and I have posted those as well.  Everything is pretty much in date order. If you see something out of order, please let me know.

I invite any and all comments. Additions of letters, photographs, etc. would be most welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment